Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Psalm 82:3

What if there are children who will suffer somehow because I failed to obey God?
What if my cowardice costs even one child somewhere in the world his or her life?
(excerpt from The Hole in Our Gospel)

Monday, May 16, 2011

Feeding a Thousand

We fed 1,000 homeless people today. Holy Cow! That was an experience! The food was definitely "interesting" and it was terribly sad to see the "soup" people took home in plastic bags for family members. I won't go into the gory details or anything, but at least they get food every day thanks to someone who started this feeding program. It takes $60 USD to feed 1,000 people one meal a day. Can you believe that? [Kyle's perspective, advertisers will spend $100-200 to reach 1,000 people, advertising in industry-specific publications.]

One of our translators hooked us up with this for the day - he volunteers there, too. I tell you, our guides and translators are very well connected and have a servant's heart if ever I saw one!

Then we went to the orphanage. This is the first orphanage that we have sort of adopted this trip and keep going back. We are going to fix up rooms for the 4 "kids" (the twenty-somethings) that are staying behind for a couple of months. Their room is so great! All the rooms there are painted now, all the kids have clothes now, all the bathrooms are clean now, all the babies have diapers and food now, it's been totally transformed! Ashley even brought hospital disinfectant cleaner and the place was cleaned down from top to bottom for probably the first time ever!

I will tell you the boring details later, but I have to go wash who-knows-what off me now before we head out to dinner.

By the way, There are only a couple of us who are not sick, not recovering from being sick, or starting to get sick. I was only a little congested this morning, but DayQuill took care of that. Keep praying for me to stay healthy, please! And the rest of our team could use some divine healing before our flight tomorrow night. One is really sick and can't sit up for more than five minutes at a time. If you could pray for Denise, especially that would be great! She was my roomie in D.C.

I'll be home soon!

---------------------------------------

News from the homefront.

Sunday went pretty well. We got up on time to make it 6 minutes late to the first service! After church Chelsea and I baked a desert for the church BBQ that afternoon.
















Luckily it wasn't too windy at the BBQ or there would have been food flying all over the place. Wait, I meant to say, I wish it wasn't so windy at the BBQ. There was food flying everywhere. Only 1 kid of mine got injured. That's a pretty good ratio of injuries to kids for as many as I brought. Of course, that one kid got injured 3 times. But whose counting? Corey wandered off with Scott for the whole afternoon. I think I saw him eat a cupcake and a cookie. Hopefully there was a hotdog in between the two. MJ was at the park with Abbey. Jared, Chelsea and I played football. We danced, we kissed, we schoozed, we carried on, we went home happy. Afterwards, I got everyone home in one piece and into bed at a respectable hour. It was a school night you know.

Here is MJ tearing off one more day closer to mom coming home.
















Corey doing his reading Monday night.















And, finally a picture of Jared...schooling the high-schoolers in the game of basketball. The shot I missed on camera was the one where he had just stolen the ball and pulled up for a jumper inside the 3-point line and swished it. Instead, I got this rebound, action-shot. Stupid camera.















Only two more wake-ups before mom is home...as MJ calls it. Yeah!

Oh, and Angie, if you are reading this before you leave, it was 55 degrees today...brrr! It won't get above 60 all this week, and mostly rain! Welcome back to Utah!

No comments:

Post a Comment