Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Psalm 82:3

What if there are children who will suffer somehow because I failed to obey God?
What if my cowardice costs even one child somewhere in the world his or her life?
(excerpt from The Hole in Our Gospel)

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Packing up & Heading Home

Well, we were back at Ashley's orphanage today. I changed diapers, played with older kids, fed babies & played with older kids again. The orphanage has been without water since last Sunday (when we landed). Can you believe that? They are bringing in water somehow, but babies have not been bathed since we did that last Sunday night. Older kids are somehow scrubbing up with whatever water they can pour on themselves. Bottled water is there, but staff is busy trying to keep it stocked. Overall, though, that place looks 100% better. Nannies loved having us there. So much was done - like an extreme make-over orphanage edition!! You won't believe the pictures. The kids seem happier, the staff definitely seems happier and most of the babies bottom's are no longer raw and bleeding (that was a HUGE problem when we got there!).

I'm glad to be heading home. However, I feel like I am leaving a little piece of my heart behind. I guess when you get to know the kids personally (not just show up once, do a project and leave), you start to feel connected to them. Again we got hugs and kisses galore and it took us 20 minutes to get out of the gate.

Looking forward to seeing my family...I wonder how sleep deprived I'll be by the time I get home?

I'm sure I'll have some final thoughts about this little adventure, but right now, I can't seem to sum it up. So, for now, let's just say it's been amazing, beautiful, depressing, wonderful, terrible, heartbreaking and fabulous all at the same time. I am so thankful for this experience and the husband who supported this crazy idea from the beginning. I Love You!



1 comment:

  1. Angie,

    I would love to chat with you privately about something.. but I didn't see a contact button on your page. Would you mind e-mailing me?

    Thanks!!

    Kim
    thechangemecrew at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete