Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Psalm 82:3

What if there are children who will suffer somehow because I failed to obey God?
What if my cowardice costs even one child somewhere in the world his or her life?
(excerpt from The Hole in Our Gospel)

Monday, May 9, 2011

To Korah, Ethiopia

Here is Angie's note from earlier today.

Today we went to Korah. The Project 61 link in the side bar will tell you what Korah is all about. Wow. Not sure I can put it into words. The sigths, the smells, the touch the kids and widows there so desperately needed. I have some pretty amazing photos of the "houses there. A slum in the U.S. would be a luxury - truly! The photos of children with flies in their faces...all true. The photos of kids wearing whatever they can find - true. The photos of water holes where people gather water and bathe - imagine the worst you've seen - and that is Korah. I can't upload photos here given the internet issues, but I promise the photos I will post when I return will say what I cannot. I held one little girl today quite awhile...just because. She was about 4, but looked like an 18 month old. She kept scratching her ribs (she was much too thin like ALL the other kids there). Pretty sure she had some skin disease, and I shudder to think what it is.

I guess for now, just know that the "Trash Dump" on the Project 61 link is real - and MUCH bigger than even I could imagine after hearing a lot about it. Again, photos I will eventually post will say what I cannot.

We also went to a leper hospital. Met those who survived and now "work" there - about 40 of them. NONE of them have 10 fingers or 10 toes. Most have none at all. All are happy and all have hope. All I can say about that is, God is here! There can be no other explanation.

That's all for now since there is one computer for the 24 of us. Our group is still bonding and it's been really nice. I'm not sick. I'm not overly exhausted. And, surprisingly, I'm not yet homesick. I feel like I'm here for some reason. I feel like I'm gathering information for something. For what, I don't yet know.

Thank you for praying. But don't just pray for our team or for me. Pray for the people here. Pray for the women here with HIV who must choose between breastfeeding their babies knowing that they too will get HIV or not feeding them and letting them starve to death - literally. Pray for the children here who "work" at the Trash Dump.

Love to all of you! Especially my family who I love and am even more grateful for!

Well after that post from Angie, I can't really complain about my day.

I did a little research on Korah and came across this blog: If You Truly Believe.

Here is a photo I linked to from their post. This photo was taken in the trash dump. You can read that is says, "Jesus Christ is here".

















No comments:

Post a Comment