Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Psalm 82:3

What if there are children who will suffer somehow because I failed to obey God?
What if my cowardice costs even one child somewhere in the world his or her life?
(excerpt from The Hole in Our Gospel)

Monday, October 24, 2011

"Mother, that's my mother!"


I got an AWESOME phone call today that resulted in me being reminded that all the trials, the stress, the paperwork and the waiting will all be worth it (I know this...I truly do...but sometimes I think I'm more than a little nuts to think adding another child to what already seems like chaos is a good idea).

One of my former VO team members called to tell me he just returned from Ethiopia. He visited our little boy-to-be's orphanage (thanks, Andy!). We'd sent a photo album and some other smallish things to him, and Andy called to tell me what our little boy's reaction was.

According to Andy, when "he" looked at the first picture of him and I together, he excitedly said "Mother, that's my mother!" A girl working there helped with translation, I guess, and he flipped through the album looking at pictures of his dad, brothers and sisters to-be. When he got to pictures of them playing in snow, it sounds like he wasn't sure what to think of it! At the end of the photo album we'd put a picture of the front of our home - his future home. I hear his jaw just dropped.

When I heard "he" said, "Mother, that's my mother!", I could just picture him saying it. Why? Because when I was there in May, that's what all the other older kids who had families pursuing them said as they excitedly showed me their albums. Guess it's "his" turn now!


(a darkened photo...since I'm not allowed to post his face - yet)

1 comment:

  1. Such a cool phone call. I certainly brightened my day!

    ReplyDelete