Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Psalm 82:3

What if there are children who will suffer somehow because I failed to obey God?
What if my cowardice costs even one child somewhere in the world his or her life?
(excerpt from The Hole in Our Gospel)

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Happy Birthday Habtamu

Today is his birthday...not sure if he even knows that.  Not sure if he's ever celebrated his birthday, or known when it really was.  We do know, however, that there will be cake and presents waiting for him when he comes home!


Our Give1Save1 week is 1/2 over...and our total is up to just over $800.  Wow!  In case you're wondering how adoptive families feel about asking for help raising money for an adoption, I can guarantee that none of us enjoy this part of adoption.  In fact, I'd wager to say that it's on an adoptive family's Top 10 list of LEAST favorite things to do.  But, I also know that our family - maybe all families - can't come up with $20k-$30k in just 12 months.  So, thank you to all who have donated your $1 (or more, in many cases).  We don't even know the majority of you who are on our list!  Guess this is just one more sign that God has his hand in bring Habtamu home to his forever family.  Thank You Jesus!

Mother's Day is coming up, and I thought I'd share a sweet memory I had from 10 years ago this week  (yep, I can actually remember some thing from that far back - shocking, I know!). 

Shortly after Corey joined our family I remember taking him to preschool one morning in May...the week of Mother's day, actually.  When I came back to pick him up, there was a giant poster hanging on the door of his classroom.  Each child's name was on this poster, with something special about them listed underneath.  Under Corey's name read:  "My mom picked me out special to love."  Pretty sure at 2 1/2  he didn't come up with that on his own, but I remember thinking how sweet it was that his teachers viewed his joining our family in that way.  

If you've not told your child lately how special they are to you...and one thing that makes them so special in your eyes...maybe this week would be good time to do that. 



No comments:

Post a Comment